Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Street Noodles - Taipei

Back to the Streets for Eats
Bouncing around the globe, trailing crumbs in my wake, I land in Taipei with the cutesie on my arm.  I feel confident, worldly, hungry.  We take down a batch of street noodles like two pros, she with the order, me with the mouth.  Well, ok, she with her big mouth too!
I was introduced to Taipei a year ago and got to know her a bit.  This time, with the noodles in my mouth, I began to fall in love.  This is a city for street food lovers.  At this stall, you point out all your noodles' sidekicks and wait while they boil it up fresh.  Most memorable was the soft boiled egg.
More so than in Singapore, I learn a lot of Chinese in Taipei.  It's immersion at its best, except when Dodo is Singlishing me to death.  We went to a concert by a famous Taiwanese singer named A-mei and I spent most of the time listening to her sing and trying to match the lyrics with the Mandarin subtitles.  It's easier when there is context or translation.  The first two characters on the pack of Prince noodles, below, are for king and child.  Child King = Prince.
But let's set expectations.  I know enough Mandarin to starve and get arrested.  Without the Dodo helping me I woulda dropped 10 pounds.  Don't expect a lot of English being spoken at Taipei street stalls, folks.
This stall sets up nightly on the corner of:
and:
Lane 177, Section 1, Dūnhuà South Rd
Daan District, Taipei

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I can understand why. I have grown to love this place.

      Delete
  2. Woot! Woot! You guys are back in Taipei! Gorilla and I will be there in 2 weeks. Any good hotels that you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time we stayed at a place called the Fullerton. Not too bad. This time the W. Both at company expense so I cannot comment on price though I am pretty sure the Fullerton is cheaper.

      Delete