Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sukhumvit Soi 38 - Bangkok

Street Food for Dummies
As luck would have it, we are staying just two map dots away on the skytrain from a nice eating street, Sukhumvit Soi 38.  The nice thing about the street is that the vendors have picture menus with English translations.  So, instead of ordering like a mime, pointing at unknown foods and making thumbs up signs, all I had to do was use my finger to point at a picture.  First up - fried chicken chunks with rice.  Not quite as good as the chicken we had on Day One, but not bad at all.
We then let our greed steer us.  The street is lined on both sides with food stalls.
Some lead into a covered store front, which comes in handy during downpours.  We stopped inside this place for a plate of duck rice.
Other than the stingy-fied lack of skin, this was damned good.  I chased it with a large Singha beer which only cost about 3 bucks.  At that specific moment I confirmed out loud that I could live in Bangkok.
The best of the night, however, was this mango sticky rice.  They serve a ripe, juicy mango with sticky rice and sweetened condensed milk.  This immediately became my new love.  I have already spoken to the Dodo about going back for more tomorrow night.
This was a successful street food adventure.  I wedged it in between two boring conference calls, muting the latter call so that I could burp and sigh as I rubbed my stomach.  Long Live Bangkok!!!
Sukhumvit Soi 38
Bangkok

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

2 comments:

  1. Haha and true enough we did another night of mango sticky rice. Yumcious!!!

    ReplyDelete