Monday, April 16, 2012

Coffee Alley - Taipei

Interesting Coffee Choices
On my first visit to Taipei I took note of the coffee fanaticism. It looked to have recently blasted off and dropped the boosters.  Just thirteen months later it's arrived at the outer rings of Jupiter, at least at Coffee Alley. Ordering a "tiramisu latte" seemed like a good idea.  My logic was something like this: I like tiramisu and I like latte.  She was a skin deep beauty, so pretty for her picture, but lacked depth and charm.  The powdery topping lodged in my lungs like asbestos and I nearly coughed up the bland espresso.
Dodo's cotton candy affogatto seemed like a really bad idea but turned out to be surprisingly good.  It looked ridiculous when it arrived - a sugary beehive with a side of espresso.  Everyone around us stared.
The cotton candy vaporized at the first touch of espresso, revealing three neat spheres of ice cream.
Vanilla ice cream, espresso, pralines, caramel and melting snowbanks of cotton candy.  This was a sweet, yet not overpowering dessert.  Dodo complained there was too much ice cream but that's like complaining that your job overpays you.
I stumbled on both my orders, unfortunately.  The dark brownie promised a richness but delivered otherwise.  How can something so good looking taste so bland? 
No. 42, Lane 187,  Dun Hua S. Rd, Sec. 1
Taipei

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

15 comments:

  1. That cotton candy affogato looks brilliant, in a "why the hell didn't I think of that!?!" kind of way. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omid, yes, I was caught off guard by how good it was. I never would've thought of that.

      Delete
  2. OMG. I am so looking forward to eat in Taipei!! 4 more working days to go until our holidays in Singapore and Taipei!! Aaarggghhh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you dare to eat the Taiwanese stinky dou fu?

      Delete
    2. I'd like to try and go halfsies with Gorilla. But he is not too keen. So we'll see.

      Delete
    3. I planned to eat the stinky dou fu and then I smelled it. The smell made me run away at full speed.

      Delete
  3. I laughed out loud! Surprised people only stared at that beehive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it was more like gasps followed by an open-mouthed, stunned silence.

      Delete
  4. Yeah... I still say too many scoops of ice cream. The use of cotton candy is ingenious! Wonder if the waffles are good since everyone else seems to be having that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ordered the crown jewel and you wonder about the waffles? GreedyGirl on the scene!

      Delete
  5. I love bizarre desserts. This looks like a place I'd visit repeatedly until I'd tried all the weird stuff they had. Too bad the tiramisu latte was no good, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this short life, that is the attitude you need. Long live coffee and dessert!

      Delete
  6. Haha for one or two people, 3 scoops is a lot, but I love how you put it "it's like complaining your job overpays you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do three scoops standing on my head......

      Delete
  7. Appointments and consultations are always in high demand, and clients don't mind waiting their turn because they know the results will be worth it. Check it out

    ReplyDelete