Sunday, February 26, 2012

Restoran West Lake - Kuala Lumpur

KL Hokkien Mee
Looks can be deceiving, my friends.  What appears to be a plate of fetid earthworms is in fact the famous Kuala Lumpur Hokkien Mee.  Thick yellow noodles, pork and specks of cabbage sauteed in a dark soya sauce over a charcoal fire.  Bits of deep fried pork fat lurk within, setting off a frantic chopstick battle royale that I lose time and again.  Dodo brought me to Restoran West Lake to show me how this dish is supposed to taste.  For reasons I cannot discern, it's miles better than the wan versions I've tried in Singapore.
You'd probably walk right by this place.  It has all the charm of an old motorcycle repair shop. 
There are piles of detritus on either side of the cigarette kiosk.  The "Please do Not Spit" sign is a classic. 
You sit around hard aluminum tables on ugly chairs.  Everything about this place says "RUN!"
Once you taste a bite of the food, the surroudings seem charming all of a sudden.  Surpassing the KL Hokkien Mee was this dish of fried maggie noodles with fish cake, sprouts, spinach and chilies.  It had a fragrant taste that I couldn't put my finger on.
We ate every last bit of both dishes, more than we usually eat in one sitting.  No room at all for the dog dishes.  Yep, dog.  I'm a cat person myself, but still......
15 Jalan Sultan
Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. Favorite go to place for KL hokkien mee... think more because I am a habitual person than it being the best hokkien mee in KL. Have been going back to this shop for their hokkien mee and love letter during CNY for more than 10 years already. Same faces, same charm, same taste... I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you're a regular when the owner recognizes you after being away for a year or two and offers to sell you half her personal stash of love letters. Impressive.

      Delete
  2. I am a Malaysian (from Kuala Lumpur) who just moved to Paris. Reading your blog makes me feel closer to home... and I miss the food!

    ReplyDelete