Monday, April 23, 2012

Emperor Chops (君悅排骨) - Taipei

There's Nowhere like Home
The Taiwanese diaspora try in vein to replicate the pork chops from home.  Those I've sampled in NY are but the distant cousins of the Taipei originals.  I don't blame them for trying, something this good should be shared.  The 君悅排骨 version were juicy planks of pork kept warm in a crispy, deep-fried coat.  They'd no doubt been dunked in a soy sauce, white whine and garlic bath and then dusted with corn flour, sugar and five spice, the most important of the five being the szechuan black pepper. This was a quiet, blind meal, each of us happily chewing with our eyes closed.
The sides didn't readily bequeath center stage, they stood proudly on their own.  Most memorable performance went to the hard-boiled egg.

I'd normally consider the side bowl of rice, noodles and pickled veggies a waste of space, but it was the perfect sidekick.  I took to carving bits of the chop and dragging them through this jungle on the way to my mouth. 

On another day, in a different setting, the fried chicken would've gotten all the attention.  It simply couldn't compete, not with two pork lovers grading the test.

I bet this is not even one of the better versions in Taipei.  I'm sure there are better but what a step up from the ones I've tried outside of Taiwan!
Taipei

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

8 comments:

  1. This all looks REALLY good. I suddenly really want to visit Taipei. You guys are really great at inspiring culinary wanderlust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys, plural? All she does is bring her big mouth... Wahahahahahaha.

      Delete
  2. This is definitely one of our better finds.... I still think about my breakfast sandwich at the coffee place behind the hotel. Louisa Coffee issit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are talking about another spot while commenting on this spot? Oh boy....

      Delete
  3. OMG I am so hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok FN, this is your conscience speaking... you know you're sitting on a ton of posts, just waiting to be written up, aren't you? Ahem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, ok, I will get back to work soon. I think....

      Delete