Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Antica Focacceria San Francesco - Milan

Going South on Sunday
Like Paris, Milan is a bit sleepy on Sundays.  You take what you can get and are glad for it.  I was looking for a typical Milanese lunch, but settled for Sicilian instead.  It was educational, because other than "rigatoni", I didn't recognize one word on the menu.  They must speak a special kind of Italian in Sicily.

The rigatoni was bathed in a sweet tomato sauce, sweeter than I expected.  It took me a while to adjust.  I got full on it as I waited for my next plate, something that I randomly pointed at in the menu.  After I finished it off, I glanced over the desserts at the front counter but knew I'd be too full.

The mystery plate.  Not a clue when I dug in.  Still a bit fuzzy but my tongue tells me it was an assortment of meatballs with a side of sauteed eggplant.  I enjoyed every morsel.

It was standing room only and with good reason.  I sipped a glass of chianti and looked forward to the jealousy this post would incite in the ball and chain.  Dodo, how now brown cow?


Via S. Paolo 15
Milan

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. I love the mystery plate and could almost taste the mix of flavours. Yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra, it was pretty good, probably better due to the mystery.

      Delete
  2. You know I love good italian food which is almost impossible to find in SG.... I still maintain my stand that it's unfair play to go Milan without me just because I went to HK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dodo, you woulda loved the rigatoni, right up your alley.

      Delete