Monday, March 19, 2012

Breakfast Toasts - Kuala Lumpur

In Malaysia, they're Simply Better
I get down from time to time.  At its worst, the world seems dark and meaningless and I can barely drag myself out of bed.  As bad as it gets, I am always excited for breakfast.  I absolutely love the first meal, no other comes close.  If you were to plot my day on a graph, starting with breakfast on the left, the line would slant steeply downward, past lunch, going negative near dinner.  While I'm still eating my morning meal I often ask the Dodo "what's for breakfast tomorrow?"  She usually rolls her eyes.

In KL, I had some very good ones, including these toasts, one with butter and this one, with both butter and peanut butter.  It reminded me of Penang last year.  What makes them so good?  The charcoal!  Just imagine a thick piece of bread, toasted to a smoky crispiness and then slathered with so much peanut butter that you can barely get your jaws in motion.  There are crispy bits with extra smokiness that almost make me want to get up and find the cook to give him a hug.


What more is there to look forward to, really?  As I wash down the last morsels with my coffee, the line on the graph starts to dip  Time for a nap.  If only I could wake up and it was breakfast time again.


Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. You make me want to go there. I have no business whatsoever in Malaysia, but I find myself tempted to visit Kuala Lumpur for the sake of the toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make it your business to get to Malaysia. Great place for food, up and down the whole country! The toast is definitely slamming.

      Delete
  2. "...the world seems dark and meaningless and I can barely drag myself out of bed"... now you know how we feel when we find no new posts! :) Thanks for this one, I just love your pithy style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I write pithy but I talk in run on sentences.

      Delete