Sunday, June 7, 2009

Legay Choc - Paris

What's With the Name?
Funny story - when Puffin and I first came to Paris together last year we stayed at a hotel in the Marais near rue de Temple. One day after I got home from work she told me "I went to the gay chocolate place today." I didn't know what she was talking about so later we walked by and she pointed it out - "see, it says le gay choc." Ok, sure enough.


However, the longer I was in Paris, the more I became confused by the name. The French word "choc" means "shock." So, this place then became the Gay Shock in my mind. But that seemed strange too. What is so shocking about a patisserie that makes good stuff? Today, as part of my "patisseries between home and work" series, I went over there to pick out something for breakfast. I stared at the name again. Maybe we're reading into this too much. Maybe it's owned by the Legay family? When I got home I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, Legay is simply the family name of the owners....

Nevertheless it's one of Puffin's favorite places. I ordered a brioche, which was light and flaky and not too sweet. I added a side of scrambled eggs when I got home. A good start to the day.
4th Arondissement
Paris

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. Haha.. so much abt the name. And bear in mind... I wasn't the one who was put off by the name to start with. Hmmmm... I wonder who???

    The bread is really good... think I recall the croissant with raisins (can't remember the name) being quite yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any idea what you are talking about, Pingle....

    YOU were the one who went there because you thought it was a gay place... hello?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I really like your blog! It's a gold mine and even though I'm French, you sure are better than I at finding off the beaten track places! I just wanted to add that even though Legay is the family name of the people that run these bakeries (there are at least 2, the other one is at the beginning of the rue de la verrerie), they sure play it up, being located in the marais. At their rue de la verrerie location, on sunday mornings, they sell "baguettes magiques" (baguette also means wand in French), which is shaped like a ...well, you'll just have to see for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Eleonore, thanks for the info! I told my girlfriend she can go there to get a "magic wand" and she told me she already has one - mine! Woo-hoo, she's a hot one!

    ReplyDelete