Friday, January 1, 2010

Ponggol Nasi Lemak - Singapore

Hitting a "Famous" Stall
I'm always a little wary about visiting a famous place because it's usually over-crowded and not good enough to deserve the wait. Ponggol is "the" place to get Chinese-style Nasi Lemak, a Malaysian dish of rice cooked in coconut milk, egg, anchovies, sambal (chili paste), sliced cucumber, peanuts and in my case a fried chicken drumstick and a side of eggplant.


Pingles adorned hers with fried wonton and squid cake. Now, all things being equal, not waiting in a long line - this is a good meal. I loved the combination of flavors, especially the peanut and the egg with chili paste. The eggplant was way above average - it was cooked just right. However, waiting in a super-long line for it?

I say no, not worth it. This is a shot from the back of the line. This stall only opens up at 6pm and goes deep into the early morning. So, it's a favorite of cab drivers working the night shift and those who like a late meal after hanging out. I like that idea, I'm just not willing to stand around for it. Perhaps I'll change my mind if I try some other versions....

965 Upper Serangoon Road
Singapore

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

4 comments:

  1. Some says it's not as good as it used to be.. I have no complains as it never fails to satisfy my craving for nasi lemak. Then again.. Nani's version works equally well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the joint at Tanjong Katong Road, the line is manageable.. and they serve chicken wings instead..

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Singaporean, I'm extremely wary of queues as most of us are bound by herd mentality.

    Sometimes, the most unexpected finds are often the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I apply the "stay away from the lines and suggestions" approach in Paris.

    ReplyDelete