Saturday, August 14, 2010

Juice and Antique Spot - Penang, Malaysia

What an Unexpected Combo
I don't know how it happened but I'm the anointed navigator in Penang. This means I have to consult the map and take an absolute direct route to whatever the ladies desire. If they sense the slightest double-back or circling the boos are quick to come - after all: they're Singaporean. On our way to Khoo Kongsi Temple I decided to take an unnecessary left turn for fun. The ladies were hesitant but eventually followed. While waiting for them a young man called to me from the sidewalk "would you like some fresh juice, sir?" It was so weird because he was standing outside an antique shop and it took me a few seconds to locate a small sign that read "Juice Bar."

They were fresh alright. The juice man chopped up the apple, orange, carrot and ginger on the spot and juiced them for us. He and his colleague explained that they wanted fresh juice and couldn't find any around so four days back they opened their juice bar. Seems logical. Juice man is a native who emigrated to Sydney for a bit but came back for the laid back Penang atmosphere. He does tattooing as well - just not at this location. They struck me as surfer-types. Friendly guys who take it a day at a time.

I liked my juice - I got an apple/orange/ginger combo with very little ice. It's hard to go wrong with this combo in my opinion. Others added carrot. I sipped and walked into their antique shop.

It's a narrow affair, chocked full of stuff.

This guy is propped right in the doorway. He's the first one you see.



Lebuh Armenian

Penang, Malaysia

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

2 comments:

  1. I like this laid back juice spot.. the owners may be laid back, they do take pride in making their juice. The fruit juice with a twist of ginger was a definite winner. Plus the fact that they do not recommend much ice so that you get the most out of the juice... in SG, they probably recommend more ice so you get less juice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dodo - hey, how come you guys looked all suspicious and tense when I went in there first?

    ReplyDelete