Sunday, February 8, 2009

Poilâne - Paris

Old-World Bread Meets Upstart American
When I walked by Poilâne the first time, I thought it was an art gallery. The sculptures propped up in the window looked just like bread.

I stared in the window as an optical illusion faded in and out: nice sculptures, no wait that is real bread, no, can't be, those are sculptures of bread, no, wait, that IS bread, I think.....
Just then, a well-dressed man with a perfect haircut walked out carrying one of the large round loaves. So, it is bread! Man, that is some fancy bread shop, I mumbled to myself. When I turned back to the window, I caught my shabby reflection staring at me. He gave me a head bob as if to say "come on, let's go, this ain't for us." I shook him off and went in. The salespeople were friendly and helpful. I selected a small brioche loaf.

When I got it home and took a closer look at it, I noticed it had a pointy crown. How the heck was I supposed to eat it? I imagined there was a small French list of "right ways" but I had no idea what they were. So, I did the American thing.....

Sliced it up, popped it in the toaster and slathered it with peanut butter and jelly!! It was absolutely delicious.
6th Arondissement
Paris

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

2 comments:

  1. I like how your toast look babe!!! The peanut butter and jelly is definitely calling out to me... "EAT ME! EAT ME!!"

    Will I be getting french toast made from this brioche? Will I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, as much french toast as you want, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete