Saturday, October 29, 2011

Coutume Cafe - Paris

Finally!
After so many tartines and croissants and dark Parisian swill pretending to be coffee, a real breakfast!  I downed the velvety scrambled and spread the entire golden brick on my whole wheat toast.  Coutume cafe is known for their coffee, but I give them credit for their breakfast.  It's the kind that leads to a deep, satisfying nap.

I don't care much for the coffee geekery - the siphons, the conical drips, etc.  I was happy to simply get a decent latte, this one with three shots.  The price was right - about 3 and a half euros, the same price I pay for the dirt milk served in most Parisian cafes.


Definitely an expat crowd - Englishmen, Ozzies and Americans were there in force.  I wasn't sure I was in Paris until....

......I spotted the Frenchie in the corner, reading Charlie Hebdo, his dog keeping guard.

I can see myself coming here whenever I get fed up with the usual Paris fare.  In other words, quite often.  If you don't want breakfast, they offer pastries from Patisserie des Reves.

47 Rue de Babylone
7th Arondissement
Paris

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

14 comments:

  1. I like this place already... Place sounds like its near Bon marche? If so double thumbs up as I can do shopping too after breakie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dodo - yep, right near Bon Marche so it's a two-fer a la shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pirate says "it is 7.40am in the morning now and I am hungrily waiting for my bus to arrive. Yeah won't mind some breakfast..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pirate - going back this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a regular reader of your site, I have to say it was kinda cool to scroll through my RSS reader and – lo and behold – see a big picture of the scrambled egg plate on the screen. I'm one of the co-conspirators behind Emperor Norton, who do the brunch at Coutume on the weekends. If you come by again – and it's not too insanely busy as it often gets after 13h00 –feel free to ask for us and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Omid - Sorry, I didn't realize you guys were the ones doing the food! Please tell me you will be continuing.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll be there every weekend 'til they get sick of us :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Omid - good shit. BTW - that butter brick is this greedy man's wet dream. I used every last molecule and I won't even regret it on my death bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've gone through several high-end butter suppliers – at one point we were even balling the butter from giant "mottes" (mounds) of hand-churned butter ourselves, but I think we landed on the best butter yet with Philippe Olivier. The chunks are comically big but that corner of the plate always comes back clean! (And thankfully, so do the other corners. And the center. Which makes us happy.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do they really serve that much butter? We are leaving for Paris in May and are staying less than a block from this place. My husband is so excited...well you know. Butter rules and no where is it creamier or more indulgent than in France. I can't wait to try out this place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Madame Jackson - yes, they really do serve that much. Dollars for donuts, you should go to the store, buy yourself some really good stuff and then buy a fresh baguette from a good bakery and slather it on as much as you want....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just an update: We're cutting the butter bricks in half nowadays because – unlike the brave, arterially strong FN - many customers suddenly started using less butter, leaving more on the plate. I've noticed a much more health-conscious brunch crowd with peculiar requests in the last few weeks, so I'm wondering what silly diet trend has taken over Parisian appetites lately... Anyway, the servers will be happy to bring you more butter if you ask for it, or simply mention you'd like a little extra butter when you order. :)

    But for my money, yeah, there's nothing better than softening some beurre doux or beurre demi-sel (fully salted butter is insanely salty in France) from the market and smearing it on fresh baguette from the corner bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Omid - cutting the butter bricks in half? Oh boy... BTW, I am not arterially strong, just mentally strong - I'm prepared to die young with a nice layer of fat on my belly!! Lingering death to the health conscious mafia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We also reviewed this place recently: hands down the best coffee in Paris

    ReplyDelete