Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Freshness Burger - Singapore

Where's the Beef?
Back in the 80's there was a series of Wendys commercials in which an insistent senior kept yelling "Where's the beef?" as a way of tweaking McDonalds and Burger King for their small patties.  When the crew at Freshness Burger handed over my "classic" cheeseburger at lunch yesterday I felt like screaming the same thing.  To make matters worse, when I bit into it all I tasted was hype. 
There are apparently hundreds of outlets in Japan but this is the first franchise to open in Singapore.  I've never tried the Japanese version, so I don't want to overstep.  Let's just say that this burger was not a fresh burger.  Matter of fact, it conjured up a corporate taste to me.  One of brainwashed cows being herded to an efficient slaughter and their meat diluted by chemicals and additives unknown.  I'm not saying that is what happens, but that is what it tastes like to me.  Worse than any other burger chain?  No, not really.  But I sure got excited after all the hyperbole. 
Just for fun, here's one of the original commercials:


NEX Mall
Serangoon, Singapore

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

3 comments:

  1. Their forte is not beef burgers... think you need to try their other offerings such as prawns etc etc.... Let my gfs guide you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dodo - nah, no thanks. You get one shot at the kid's loot and they'd have to give me back my S$5.90 before I tried something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone else I was so looking forward to the opening. How can you substitute and mutate the original burger yet expect consumers NOT to taste the difference. Thanks to you I won't be going until they actually make the burger like in Japan. Toasted, curly lettuce, proper meat and a proper slab of onion. Singaporeans are not stupid lo :)

    ReplyDelete