Friday, July 9, 2010

Brooklyn Farmacy - Brooklyn

Sweating to the Oldies
I'm an ogre, a grump or if you prefer - a malcontent. Keep that in mind as you read. Brooklyn Farmacy is an old idea brought back - the soda fountain. I went there on a blistering hot day to get some ice cream. Twenty steps from the front door I noticed it was propped wide open - something you don't want to see on a blistering hot day. No air conditioning. Look, I get it - it's a soda fountain, circa 1950, before air conditioning. Yes, you got ceiling fans stirring the hot gravy air. I simply never recovered from this disappointment, I've spent way too many meals in Paris with a puddle of sweat collecting around my ball sack. This one thing, rightly or wrongly, colored my entire experience.

A good ice cream sandwich might have saved the day. When described to me as chocolate nutella ice cream between a spice waffle cookie I got excited. My mind started to wander. I pictured a whoopie pie from One Girl Cookie or Sweet Melissa filled with gooey, rich ice cream from Berthillon (forgive the shameless blog plugs.) Of course, only a jackass would do this - you set yourself up for disappointment. So, when the frosty hockey puck, shown above, arrived I slumped in my chair. Come on - the whole thing frozen? The waffle was too thin and was frosted to a cardboard consistency. Insult to injury - it cost five and change. Memo to self - go to Sweet Melissa, buy a pumpkin spice whoopie pie, disassemble it, replace cream cheese frosting with with ice cream, bite, smile, call yourself a genius.

On the good side, the staff was very capable and friendly. Our soda jerk mistakenly made us a chocolate shake, which they comped us. It was damned good - thick and nice. The place is cute in an "over-the-top authentic" way. They sell all manner of locally produced goods such as salsa made in Brooklyn and bacon peanut brittle, etc. Everyone eating there looked happy, especially the table of kids. At the end of the day, however, I always ask myself one simple question. Will I come back? No, doubt it.

513 Henry Street
Brooklyn

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

10 comments:

  1. Your sandwich ice-cream sure didn't impress but I enjoyed the free choc milk shake. Maybe cause it's free, made it extra yummy.

    Got to say when we first walked in, the heat kinda turned me off but it was alright after a while. Guess it didn't bother me as much as it bothered you cause I got no ball sack.. wahahaha =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dodo - yeah, the choco-shake definitely tasted better for being free. I bet if you paid 5 duckets for it you might have a less stellar opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goooooooooooood to know. I'll admit I was sucked in by the novelty of the place but have been too lazy to actually venture out there. Guess I'll save it for the winter, if I save it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Donuts - head to Chocolate Room or Sweet Melissa instead....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, no air conditioning? That's a deal breaker, as liz lemon would say. You're totally right about the ice cream sandwich though. If you freeze the cookie... it's fucking over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Danny - yep, It's OVER, Johnny! Sadly, I been outta American pop culture for so long I didn't even know who Liz Lemon was - had to look it up on Google.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this place worked my nerves. tried it for the first time and although the food was "ok" (actually the ginger soda was pretty damned tasty) the serviced sucked so bad, both in skill and personality (we waited 25 minutes to get two sodas and a scoop of ice cream and pie and then 20 minutes to get the check and then 15 minutes for change which then disappeared before coming to us). these folks have no clue what they are doing. i would not go back - would rather spend my money and time at choc room or sweet melissa one of the old places on court.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anon - wow, you even had a worse experience than me. I didn't have any service issues (though they did make me a milkshake by mistake but gave it to me for free, which is a good service issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So bitter, but yet you write so well "ceiling fans stirring the hot gravy air" and you post twice as much as I do on DessertBuzz. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @DB - yes, I eat bitter for breakfast. Thanks for the compliments. Ok, I promise, I'm gonna strive to write a nice sunny, happy post.... one day.... in the future.....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.